Estonian citizenship and Estonian passport
It is possible to get Estonian citizenship and Estonian passport after obtaining permanent residence permit.
A person can obtain permanent residence permit after his 5 year residence permit period has expired.
So after 5 years it is necessary to submit documents for obtaining permanent residence permit in Estonia, and then petition for granting of the citizenship and passport of Estonia.
A person who has reached the age of 15 years may petition for granting of obtaining a citizenship of Estonia, if he/she:
- has a permanent residence in Estonia;
- was living in Estonia not less than 5 years according residence permit before petition;
- has passed exam on knowledge of Estonian language (if you graduated from primary, secondary or higher school in Estonian language, it wouldn’t be necessary to pass this exam);
- has passed exam on knowledge of basic law (constitution) of Estonia and the law of citizenship of the Republic of Estonia;
- has permanent income;
- has registered residence in Estonia;
- has loyal attitude to Estonia.
Exam on knowledge of Estonian language is the most difficult part of a procedure of obtaining a citizenship of Estonia. Nowadays the government of Estonia is under big pressure from the European Union. The European officials demand to cancel this exam on knowledge of Estonian language because they suppose this point is a kind of discrimination. So there is a big hope that in 5 years people, who apply for the citizenship and passport of Estonia, won't have this obstacle.